Below are the answers to many of our frequently asked questions regarding our curated collections of inspirational, faith-based fine pewter, sterling silver, and 14k gold scripture & prayer jewelry. We're delighted that you are here, value your trust, and hope to help you make an informed purchasing decision. If you have any questions that are not covered below, please do not hesitate to reach out to us and let us know how we can help. We always enjoy hearing from you!
- ► Ready to get started?
- Please use the links below to view our Jewelry Q&As
- ► What is fine pewter?
- Fine pewter, is a lead-free alloy of tin mixed with a small proportion of another metal (typically copper, antimony, bismuth, or silver) to supply additional strength. Fine pewter is a comparatively affordable soft metal, light gray silver in color, and a beautifully durable choice for jewelry as it does not tarnish, rust, or deteriorate. For those who are continually on the go, pewter jewelry is a carefree, wise choice as it requires minimal maintenance. Click or tap here for further information on how to care for and clean fine pewter jewelry.
- ► What does the .925 stamp mean on my sterling silver jewelry?
- Pure silver would be a poor choice for jewelry as the metal is simply too soft to sustain use. While pure silver can be combined with many different types of metals, sterling silver is created when combining pure silver with copper. Sterling silver jewelry can be composed with different amounts of copper, but is most often seen with the .925 stamp, meaning that the composition is of 92.5 percent silver and 7.5 percent copper. This has been found to be a good combination for maintaining the silver's durability without harming its sparkle. Our sterling silver jewelry is guaranteed to be both lead-free and nickle-free. All sterling silver jewelry available for purchase at Clothed with Truth contains the artist's makers mark as well as the .925 stamp.
- ► How should I care for my sterling silver jewelry?
- Sterling silver jewelry should not come into contact with harsh household chemicals such as bleach, ammonia, or chlorine. To avoid scratches, store silver in a lined jewelry box or pouch. Sterling silver jewelry is prone to tarnish as it naturally reacts with sulfur or hydrogen sulfide in the air. To keep tarnishing to a minimum, it is strongly advised that you store your silver jewelry in a dry and air-tight area. Anti-tarnish strips will also help to keep your sterling silver bright and shiny while in storage. Keep in mind that tarnish does not permanently damage your jewelry in any way as it is simply on the surface of your jewelry. Cleaning and wearing silver jewelry regularly will prevent the build up of tarnish and help maintain its shine. Upon noticing any discoloration, use a gentle silver polishing cloth made specifically for removing tarnish. We do not recommend cleaning your sterling silver jewelry with silver polish or liquid cleaners as this may dull the finish and/or remove the antiquing. Click or tap here to add an ultra soft polishing cloth to your order. Click or tap here for further information and tips on how to care for and clean your sterling silver jewelry, 14k gold jewelry, and pearl jewelry.
- ► Why does sterling silver sometimes turn my skin green or black?
- All of our silver jewelry is made of solid .925 sterling silver, which includes 92.5% pure silver and a 7.5% copper alloy. When the copper alloy comes in contact with moisture (such as sweat, water, humidity) or certain acids in products (such as lotions, household cleaning products, perfumes, soaps) it may create a chemical reaction that can turn your skin slightly green where the sterling silver jewelry touches it. Make-up present on the skin or clothing is the most common cause of the blacking or smudging. Cosmetics often contain chemical compounds which are harder than the jewelry itself. Metallic abrasion occurs when these hard compounds come in contact with the jewelry metals and wear or rub off very tiny particles of metal which appears as jet black dust. Very finely divided metals always appear black rather than metallic. When this dust falls on absorbent surfaces, such as the skin or clothing it sticks, forming a black smudge. If you notice discoloration on your skin, polish the piece with a silver jewelry cleaning cloth. This reaction is harmless and in a few days your body chemistry will adjust to the sterling silver and this reaction will subside.
- ► What is antiquing?
- Most of our sterling silver jewelry is "antiqued" with a patina during manufacturing to enhance the detailing and legibility of the inscription. To antique sterling silver jewelry, the piece is submerged in liver of sulfur to create the darkened color, and is then polished so that the antiquing remains only within the inscription.This process is incorporated to replicate original antique jewelry, which naturally forms this darkened color over the centuries.
- ► What does the term "lost wax" mean?
- Many of our fine pewter, sterling silver, and 14k gold bracelets, pendants, charms, and rings are created using a time honored process called the lost wax casting method. Essentially, the jewelry artist first sculpts and hand-carves the original model design in wax. Because the wax is relatively soft, this allows for intricate designs and detailing. The wax sculpture is then enclosed in a plaster mold and allowed to dry and harden. The plaster is then heated in a kiln which melts away the wax leaving a hollowed mold which is then filled with molten pewter, silver. or gold. Finally, the finished piece is meticulously hand-polished to a brilliant shine. Click or tap here to learn more about the lost wax casting method.
- ► How do I determine my ring size?
- It is important to determine your ring size accurately before placing an order.
If you are uncertain of your ring size, please visit a local jeweler to obtain an accurate measurement. Alternatively, if the ring is a gift purchased for someone else, you may wish to have the jeweler measure a ring that you know fits them comfortably. Please note that your best fit may vary slightly based upon the width of the band. For the most accurate measurement, it will be helpful for the jeweler to know whether the ring features a narrow or wide width band. Ring sizing is a free courtesy service at almost all jewelry stores and typically takes just a few minutes.
- ► What should I do if I need to re-size my ring?
- Should you find that you need to resize your sterling silver ring, we gladly offer ring re-sizing services. Sterling silver rings may sized up or down according to your instructions. Simply leave us a note with your desired ring size in the Special Instructions Box located within your shopping cart. The current turn around time for the ring re-sizing service is approximately 7 business days upon receipt of the original ring. Once your order is received, we will be in touch to answer any questions that you may have and to provide you with the shipping address to return your ring to us for service. We strongly encourage you to add USPS tracking for your package, as we cannot replace rings that are not successfully delivered. Please note that a few of our rings have specific design features that do not allow for resizing.
- ► Can you provide personalized engraving on the inside of my ring?
- Yes, we offer personalized engraving on the inside of most of our custom made sterling silver and 14k gold rings. Rings are engraved in a traditional Roman font using all capital letters. The engraving charge is $30 for the first 1-10 characters. Depending on the ring size and design, additional characters may be available at a cost of $5 each. Please contact us if you would like additional information about adding the engraving service to your custom ring order.
- ► Are you able to create a custom personalized sterling silver bracelet?
- Certainly! Many customers choose to customize our hand-stamped sterling silver cuff bracelets with a favorite Bible verse, quote, or message of encouragement. Various font styles are available for you to select the perfect design for your custom personalized design.
- ► How do I measure my wrist for a bangle bracelet?
- We recently wrote a blog article on how to measure your wrist for a bangle bracelet to help answer this questions and invite you to read the instructions by visiting this link.
- ► Do you carry petite size bangle bracelets?
- Yes! We now have sterling silver petite size bangle bracelets available with several scripture verse inscription options.
- ► Do you have any sizing guidelines for children's bracelets?
- Generally speaking, the chart below follows the typical stages of development and may help you to make a determination on proper sizing for our children's bracelets.
4 1/2" = newborn - 6 months
5" = 6 months - 4 years
6" = ages 4 - 12
- ► I love the look of layered bracelets. Do you have any suggestions on what styles work best together?
- A well blended collection of stacked, wrapped, and layered bracelets creates an undeniably stylish fashion statement. Click or tap here to read our "how to guide" that will help to provide you with specific layering suggestions.
- ► Can I order a longer length necklace chain?
- Yes, we carry both 20" and 24" sterling silver chains in a variety of styles (Rolo, Double Rope, Rounded Box, Snake, and Diamond Cut Ball). These chains are a bit more feminine in appearance and match nicely with our ladies sterling silver pendants. We also carry a thicker 24" sterling silver curb chain that coordinates nicely with our men's sterling silver pendants. Click or tap here to view our guide on selecting the perfect chain to accompany your pendant.
- ► Can I purchase a pendant without the chain?
- Our 14k gold pendants are available for purchase without the accompanying chain. Each of our sterling silver and fine pewter necklaces are only available for purchase as a complete pendant and chain set.
- ► Is your 14k gold jewelry plated or created from solid 14k gold?
- All of our 14k gold jewelry is made from solid 14k gold. Each piece has been hand-crafted by highly reputable jewelers here in the USA and is hallmarked with a 14k stamp. Click or tap here to learn more about what to look for when purchasing high quality gold jewelry.
- ► How should I care for my fine gold jewelry?
- With proper care, gold jewelry can easily last a lifetime or longer, making it an ideal choice for heirloom jewelry. Click or tap here to for tips on caring for your fine gold jewelry.
- ► Are the pearls and gemstones used in your jewelry designs natural or synthetic?
- Most of the pearls used in our designs are freshwater pearls that have been naturally formed and harvested from mussels. Freshwater pearls are generally a less uniform in shape than cultured or synthetic pearls, but of course, that's part of their unique charm. We're happy to report to you that pearl farming is a sustainable practice as the harvesting process does not harm the mussel. We carry a few bracelet designs that feature Swarovski crystal core pearls as indicated within their product descriptions. Our gemstone cross necklaces that feature amethyst, citrine, moonstone, and labradorite stones all contain natural, untreated gemstones.
- ► Do you carry birthstone charms?
- We sure do! Birthstone add on charms are available in both Swarovski Crystals and Swarovski Pearls.
- ► What's so special about Swarovski crystals?
- The crystal elements in our jewelry designs have been created with genuine Swarovski crystals. Click or tap here to read more about the hoopla over Swarovski crystals.
Have a question that we've not covered here? Please give us a call at 757-603-8304 or toll-free at 877-215-9172 or use our contact form to get in touch with us. We're always happy to help!