Whether your hands have become swollen after working out, you've tried on a ring that's too small, not removed a special ring for decades, or are struggling with joint swelling caused by arthritis, you know how tricky it can be to remove a ring that is too tight for comfort. Read on to learn ten tried and true methods to help you safely remove a ring that is stuck on your finger.
Keep in mind that you may have to try multiple methods before you are able to free your finger. Try to stay calm and give yourself a short break before moving to the next strategy. It's not uncommon for people to experience a feeling of anxiety when a ring becomes stuck. This sense of panic can temporarily spike your blood pressure which can increase swelling in your hand, making it even more difficult to remove the ring. Working patiently and slowly will help reduce the possibility of skin irritation or further swelling.
1. Slip & slide - This is hands-down the all-time best first course of action. Simply lathering your hands with cold water and slippery soap suds is the easiest method of removing a stuck ring. Create a generous amount of bubbles and try to get the suds under the ring. You can accomplish this by alternately pressing on the top and bottom of the ring to create a small space for the bubbles to pass between. Slowly turn the ring off your finger, pulling lightly as you go. (Smile and remember...righty tightly, lefty loosey.) Actually, this method works by reducing the amount of friction between your skin and the ring. Likewise, coating your ring and finger in Vaseline, cooking spray, lotion, or conditioner will do the trick as well. If you're reading this post, it's very likely that you've tried this step already. Persistence pays off sweet friend! Keep reading...
2. Windex for the win - As nutty as it may sound, the American Society for Surgery of the Hand recommends that you spray Windex all around the ring before gently attempting to ease the ring off of your finger. Why this works is beyond me, but given the source it's certainly worth a try.
3. Twist don't pull - Attempting to tug the ring straight down your finger will cause the skin to bunch and may cause further swelling. The best motion to help remove a stuck ring is a gentle back and forth twist with light pressure as you work to slide the ring off of your finger. Alternatively, you can try to "walk and wiggle" the ring off your finger by rocking it back and forth as you gently pull it toward your fingertip. The "walk and wiggle" method helps your skin shift and adjust as you're attempting to remove the ring.
4. Relax don't extend - Rather than fully extending your finger at the knuckle joint, allow your hand to rest naturally. Lightly bending your finger as you try to remove the ring further reduces the gathering of skin at the knuckle making it much easier to remove the ring.
5. Press & push - Press against the ring from the under-side of your finger as the ring approaches the knuckle to help push the ring slightly above the top surface of the knuckle.
6. Chill & relax - If the above methods have failed to remove the ring, take a break...submerge your hand in ice water for three to five minutes to help reduce fluid build up and swelling before your next attempt. This method is particularly effective if your fingers have become swollen after exercise or because you've enjoyed too much time outdoors in hot/humid weather. You may have noticed that your rings are a bit looser during the winter months...same concept.
7. Ice & elevate - Wrap an ice pack around your hand and rest your hand above your shoulder for several minutes to allow gravity to help drain excess fluid and rush the blood away from your fingers. Use a platform such as a shelf or a wall to help you maintain this position until you feel the tingly sensation of your hand falling asleep. Immediately try to remove your ring once you've lowered your hand.
8. Cling wrap compress - Compression methods work by holding your skin a bit firmer which will make sliding the ring from the finger much easier. Tightly wrap your finger in a bit of plastic cling wrap and then cover it with liquid soap or lotion. Slowly twist the ring over the cling wrap to remove the ring.
9. Scotch tape compress - No cling wrap on hand? Not to worry, you can use this same concept with a length of scotch tape wrapped around your finger just below the base of the ring.
10. Dental floss compress - Here's another tip from the American Society of Surgery for the Hand on how to remove that pesky ring. This trick works just like a corset.
When to seek help if all else fails - If your finger is injured/potentially broken, turning blue, or has lost feeling, it's time to seek assistance. Walk-in medical care centers, fire departments, and jewelers all have appropriate tools to safely & painlessly cut a ring off your finger. This process takes just a few seconds and you'll be back in action in no time. From there, have a jeweler re-size and repair your ring.
Clothed with Truth is proud to offer handcrafted solid sterling silver faith based rings made in the USA. We invite you to check out our current collection of inspirational designs available for women & men.
This company is the best company I have worked with in a long time. If could I would I would give them 100 stars. They were easy to work with, very kind and their main goal was to ensure I was satisfied with my bracelet. I did have to return my bracelet only because of my preference and they made the process so easy. They even called me to better understand what I wanted. It was an amazing experience. I would recommend this business to anyone and everyone. Thank you for displaying Christian principles in your business.
Best customer service I have experienced in a while! I placed my order for a personalized dog tag with a Bible scripture and the very next day I got a phone call from them verifying the proof they emailed me. They wanted to make sure that I was going to love it before they sent it to me! So kind of them to go the extra step...and the jewelry is Sterling Silver and not cheap junk. I will definitely order from them again. This company operates with integrity and kindness!
Amazing his/hers cuff bracelets. Exceptional quality, truly blessed company and professional but old school owners. Would definitely recommend Clothedwithtruth to anyone looking for jewelry that displays their love for Christ. Amen!
This bracelet is perfect for the women and teens in my life. The packaging is beautiful, too, saving me wrapping time. Shipped quickly and I received a personal phone call to help me clarify and update my order. The best customer service and personal touches I’ve ever experienced.
And in our world today we are so use to being disappointed it was breathe to my soul to receive these beautiful bracelets exactly as pictured and on time. While we know this isn’t always possible I particularly appreciated all the communication I received as the bracelets were in process and transport as well as the sweet note from the owners that was enclosed in the packaging. Thank you! You made me feel like I was getting a gift!
I reached out to the owners because I needed some larger quantities for an event. I was thrilled with the prompt and professional response. Deborah really was able to help with different choices and personalization's that made our gifts extra special. I cannot say enough about dealing with people who truly care about their customers --it SHOWS! It is a pleasure doing business with them, and everything I ordered was so very true to picture and much better quality than I was expecting for the cost. Really exceeded expectations!! I would highly recommend them for church groups, bible studies and anybody needing a beautiful gift. THANK YOU!
What a breath of fresh air to have a small business with excellent customer service. The item I ordered was shipped promptly. The day I received the item was a particularly stressful day so when I opened the package, I was pleasantly surprised to receive the item in a beautiful bag/box with a handwritten thank you note on the receipt. It certainly brightened my day and reaffirmed that there are good people in this world. I will definitely be purchasing again from Clothed With Truth. Thank you!
What a special place to shop!! Clothed with Truth was so helpful to me in ordering a gift for a dear friend. They are top-notch in customer service and support, going out of their way to send my order so it was received on time. My friend loves her new bracelet, too! They also enclosed a special gift note! Thank you for a great experience and I will be back!
This was the most thoughtful and meaningful company I have purchased from in quite a while. They were impeccable with customer service, showing care and concern through confirmation emails, and thank you cards included in the package. I was very impressed with the level of care taken through each step of the process. I truly appreciated this as the time of the purchase was one of loss and sadness. I am grateful for the pointed effort to reach out to their customers. This company is true to their name.
Everything about this order was absolutely perfect! The customer service is top notch. Seriously, the best I’ve seen in a very long time and I am an avid online shopper.
The extra details truly make dealing with Clothed With Truth such a pleasure! I will certainly let my family and friends know about their wonderful services and products.
From the moment I placed the order, I knew exactly what was going on with it and where it was.
The piece is absolutely beautiful! I am beyond excited to give it to my niece as she makes her First Holy Communion this Saturday! The bracelet came in a white box with a pink ribbon around it, PLUS a pretty gift bag!! But wait, there is even MORE!! They sent a penny with a cross in it and a wonderful blessing! That will be an additional gift to my niece...and so special and heartfelt. I hope she will have it in her shoe on her wedding day one day!
Again, just an overall wonderful service. HIGHLY recommend! You will not be disappointed at all. And last, but certainly not least, it arrived so quickly!! Just a few days.
First time I've ordered from Clothed with Truth. I'm always hesitant to order on line. I will not hesitate to order from Rhett and Deborah at Clothed with Truth again. Not only are they trustworthy but amazingly efficient in their mailing process - took only 2 days to receive! The 10 Bethlehem Olive Wood Comfort Crosses (small palm size) were each unique and beautifully packaged. Such creative packaging and extra personal touches...coin cross card and exquisite business card - even handwritten Thank You on billing invoice. They are a Gift from God! *I'm doing my best to be a PR person for them !
The customer service is impeccable. They answered my questions promptly and throughly, anticipated my needs, and made ordering a piece of cake. The items arrived quickly and as promised. I wish all of my buying experiences were this perfect.
I have the bracelet and just had to have the pendant. It is beautiful!. I must say that you are a wonderful company to deal with. In this day and age it is a blessing to find both Christianity and good hearted people to work with. Thank you for your beautiful company and you too!!! I will be back. God bless you all!!!!🙏💕
While the mobius bracelet I purchased is a Christmas gift, I so enjoyed the entire experience of dealing with this shop. Delivery was timely, prices reasonable, and God honored throughout the entire experience. So unusual in today's market place. I absolutely will return to them in the future.
This bracelet is of really sturdy handmade quality, and the engraving is crisp and beautiful with an artisan flair. Speaking with Deborah to help me find the right thing for me was such a pleasure, and never in my years of shopping online have I encountered such godly and caring people. Never hesitate to order here! :)